November 5, 2019 Special Municipal Election Information
The City of South Pasadena will hold a special municipal election on Tuesday, November 5, 2019, at which there will be two (2) ballot measures submitted to the voters:
- Notice of Special Election and Dates After Which No Arguments and Rebuttal Arguments for Or Against a City Measure May be Submitted
- Notice of Special Election (Chinese)
- Notice of Special Election (Korean)
- Notice of Special Election (Spanish)
Sales Tax Ballot Measure A: South Pasadena Public Safety, City Services, and Accountability Measure
- Resolution No. 7614 Calling for the Placement of a General Tax Measure
- City Attorney Impartial Analysis: Measure A - Sales Tax Measure
- Argument In Favor - Measure A
Ballot Measure C: Conversion of the Elected City Clerk Position to the Appointive Position of Chief City Clerk
- Resolution No. 7621 Submission to the Voters of an Ordinance to Convert the elective Office of City Clerk
- City Attorney Impartial Analysis: Measure C - Appointive City Clerk
- September 26 – October 15: Mailing of Official Sample Ballot Booklets by the County
- October 7: Mailing of Vote by Mail Ballots by the County
- October 21: Last day to register to vote for this election
- November 5: ELECTION DAY
- November 5, 8:00 P.M.: Last day for VBM ballots to be received or turned in personally by the voter at any polling place in the County
South Pasadena District Elections
On October 4, 2017, the South Pasadena City Council adopted Ordinance No. 2318 to change from at-large to by-district elections with respect to electing members of the City Council, establishing boundaries, and sequencing of elections within the districts. Voters will experience the new by-district electoral system beginning with the General Municipal Election in November 2018. For more information, visit www.southpasadenaca.gov/districts.
District 1 Term Expires Nov 2020
District 2 Term Expires Nov 2020
District 3 Term Expires Nov 2020
District 4 Term Expires Nov 2022
District 5 Term Expires Nov 2022
Campaign Contribution Regulations
On October 4, 2017, the City Council adopted Ordinance No. 2317 establishing City Campaign Contribution Regulations. The purpose of these regulations is to promote integrity, honesty, and transparency in municipal election campaigns and to prevent corruption, or the appearance of corruption, from the real or imagined influence of large contributions.
Specifically, no candidate shall solicit or accept any contribution from any person that would exceed the sum of one thousand dollars ($1,000) with respect to any single election. For more information contact the City Clerk's Division at (626) 403-7230.
You may now register to vote online. In order to do so, please continue to the online voter registration page. The process will be completed on the California Secretary of State's website, where you will be asked to input your driver's license number and last four digits of your social security number. You can also use this service to make any changes to your registration (such as address changes, name changes, and/or party affiliation).
Voter registration forms are available at the South Pasadena Post Office, the Public Library (1100 Oxley Street), the City Finance Department and City Clerk's Division (1414 Mission Street), and the Police Department (1422 Mission Street).
On October 5, 2016, the South Pasadena City Council adopted Ordinance No. 2301 to change the City's General Municipal Elections from November in odd-numbered years to November in even-numbered years, to coincide with statewide general elections. As a result of this change, the November 7, 2017 General Municipal Election will now occur on November 6, 2018. All current City officeholders terms of office will be extended by 12 months, in accordance with California Elections Code Section 10403.5. In 2018, Districts 4 and 5 will be up for election. In 2020, Districts 1, 2, and 3 will be up for election.
Qualified residents who are interested in filing for City elected positions are asked to contact the City Clerk’s Division at (626) 403-7230 for information about filing requirements.
- Check Your Voter Registration Status
- Polling Place and Sample Ballot Lookup
- Permanent Vote By Mail Application
- Track Vote-By-Mail Ballot