• Develop and Implement Strong Fiscal Policies to Ensure a Resilient Financial Future.
• Create and Implement a Strong Economic Development Strategy to Strengthen the Local Business Districts.
• Develop a Comprehensive Emergency Preparedness Plan to Ensure Public Safety through Active Response and Recovery Efforts.
• Enhance Community Sustainability through Investment in Infrastructure and Environmental Management Programs.
• Plan for Affordable Housing to Comply with State Mandates and Respond to Community Needs.
• Enhance Customer Service through Innovation to More Effectively Respond to Community Priorities.
The City Council adopted the Strategic Plan on June 20, 2018. The full document can be found here: 2018-19 Strategic Plan
What is Strategic Planning?
Strategic Planning is the opportunity for policy makers to define which policies, programs, projects and issues are the City’s highest priorities during the coming year, and what priorities the staff should be focusing on over and above normal operations of the City. It is one of the most important activities in which City leaders engage each year
The Strategic Planning process is a cycle with four major steps:
- Define Goals and Formulate the Plan
- Implement the Plan
- Review and Monitor
- Redefine Goals and/or Reformulate as needed
At the beginning of each calendar year, Management Services Department staff oversee an update of the Strategic Plan and creation of the workplan for the upcoming fiscal year that begins on July 1. This workplan provides staff with a basis for creating the annual budget in order to meet the goals set forth in the workplan.
After the start of the fiscal year, Management Services Department staff provides the City Council quarterly updates on the objectives of the annual workplan. The quarterly update also provides an opportunity for Council and staff to revise and reassess the workplan objectives as needed in order to meet the broader multi-year goals of the City.