SOUTH PASADENA TREE CITY USA
South Pasadena is proud to be a part of Tree City USA by meeting the program's four requirements: a tree board or department, a tree-care ordinance, an annual community forestry budget of a least $2 per capita and an Arbor Day observance and proclamation. Cleaner air, improved storm water management, energy savings and increased property values and commercial activity are among the benefits enjoyed by Tree City USA communities. More information on the program is available at arborday.org/TreeCityUSA.
Tree Regulations – permits for trimming and removal of trees.
Oak tree trimming is allowed from July through September for the health of the tree. Before trimming, complete an application and set up an appointment with the City's Arborist.
Tree Watering Information
South Pasadena’s trees are suffering from the drought! To help keep your trees alive and healthy, please water them (think about the cost to replace them). Below are some guidelines to help you determine when, where and how much to water. Download flyer
• Water every one to four weeks around the drip-line of the tree (the outer canopy of the leaves).
• Water slowly for hours or overnight with a traditional hose or coil a soaker hose around the tree allowing water to seep out through its tiny pores.
• Make sure the water gets into the soil at least two feet. Tree watering stakes are helpful (available at hardware stores).
• Create a moat at the root zone to hold the water and reduce runoff (move mote area out as tree grows).
• One to two deep waterings are much better than many shallow waterings.
• Place 2” to 3” of mulch around the tree (keep it away from the tree trunk). The tree’s leaves are great mulch!
• Remove grass from around the tree so there is no competition for water.
For more info: treesaregood.com, arborday.org and/or selectree.calpoly.edu
Guide to Trees